Waste

Amounts of waste subject to separate waste collection

  • The objective of increasing the proportion of separately collected waste by 10% was not achieved despite the numerous measures undertaken in all countries to improve waste management such as, for example, the increase in the number of separate waste collection bins and the new specifications for the collection and recycling of materials. In order to increase the effectiveness of these measures, many companies have carried out special campaigns to raise employee awareness about separate waste collection.
  • In terms of meeting this goal, the improvement in the gathering of data regarding the collection of mixed waste, which was greater than the increase in separately collected waste, had a negative effect on the final figure.
Quintals of waste subject to separate waste collection
COUNTRYTOTAL
SEPARATE WASTE
OF WHICH
PAPER-CARDBOARD
OF WHICH
IT
OF WHICH
TONER
20112012201120122011201220112012
Italy 4,647 5,123 1,859 2,872 109 114 92 111
Austria 4,564 3,837 2,520 2,101 25 41 56 46
France 3,770 3,681 953 1,421 948 514 73 59
Germany 35,300 37,388 17,486 19,978 308 233 n,d, n,d,
Spain 1,317 2,361 1,208 1,413 6 829 13 13
Switzerland 5,709 5,771 4,319 3,655 70 113 22 19
TOTAL 55,307 58,162 28,345 31,440 1,466 1,844 257 248
  • In 2012, the countries involved in the System collected a total of 76,443 quintals of waste (+3.7% compared to 2011), of which 58,162 was collected separately, 13,803 incinerated and 4,478 disposed of at landfill sites. Paper and cardboard, plastic, glass, aluminium and other metals, wood, wet waste, used oil, sanitary waste, hazardous waste and IT and toner waste are subject to separate waste collection.
  • Per capita waste comes to around 2.5 quintals per employee, a 1.9% increase compared with 2011 because of the improvement in the collection of data relating to mixed waste.
  • Paper and cardboard represents the majority of separately collected waste (54.1%) and is collected for recycling in all countries. In Austria and Germany, there is an extremely high level of separate waste collection of these materials as a result of the very stringent local rules designed to prevent the wasting of resources.
  • In all countries, IT waste, comprising of discarded electronic devices, is returned to suppliers or to plants responsible for disposal and the retrieval of reusable parts. IT waste trends may be irregular with peaks (as seen in Spain in 2012) due to the fact that computers, monitors and other IT materials are replaced on a cyclical basis with new devices that are more sustainable from an environmental point of view.
  • 63.7% of discarded toner cartridges are returned to suppliers to be recycled or refilled, while the remaining 36.3% are disposed of in accordance with the regulations. For Germany, the data are not yet available for all companies but the reporting criteria are being standardised in order to achieve this goal.
  • Hazardous waste (neon tubes, batteries etc.) represents only a tiny percentage (0.6%) of separately collected waste and is disposed of separately in an appropriate manner using specialist companies and by maintaining registries and mandatory documentation, as per the relevant regulations in force in the various countries. More specifically, 324 quintals of hazardous waste (+2.5%) was collected during the year together with 0.8 quintals of sanitary waste (-0.8%), such as gauze and bandages, which was used at sites where there is an infirmary.
  • In all of the countries wood is also collected at some sites and sent for recycling in its entirety; in addition, the same containers and bags are used multiple times for the internal transfer of various materials.
Initiatives to reduce waste in 2012
COUNTRYTYPE OF INITIATIVE
AustriaUsed oil from company canteens is recycled as biofuel and around 140 used computers were
donated to schools and NGOs.
FranceFor the first year 30% of organic waste from the company canteen was disposed of using
an internal incinerator; this process made it possible to improve the management of spaces
and also had a positive effect on transportation as the waste no longer needs to be moved
elsewhere.
An analysis was also carried out to seek ways of increasing the proportion of recyclable waste
as regards both electronic devices and consumable materials.
SpainFor the first year, containers for the collection of used batteries and sanitary waste were
introduced at the Madrid and Barcelona sites.